Intuit has got a lot of history. It was first established in 1983, and before even starting the 90’s QuickBooks was already there; nowadays is one of the biggest accounting systems for small and medium businesses.
QuickBooks Online offers 3 different pricing options, all of which can be cancelled whenever you want, without paying a single cent. The 3 plans cost:
- $13 a month: “Simple Start” plan, 1 user. Offers invoicing, estimates and bank reconciliations.
- $27 a month: “Essentials” plan, 3 users. Offers bill payments, as well as a bill tracking function.
- $40 a month: “Plus” plan, 5 users (unlimited ones for just report viewing and writing on the time schedule). Offers 1099 form creating and an inventory system.
Quickbooks Online is cloud based, so you only need a working computer with Windows or OS X, and an updated browser. There also a lot of apps, both for the desktops and the mobile devices. The iOS and Android versions are a little more limited, so it is recommended to use the desktop version for more advanced work.
Some of the features will be unlocked with the higher priced plans, but this list will cover the most important ones.
- Estimates: creating quotes is easy, you can sort them or mark them and making them invoices. If you have many don’t worry, QuickBooks will organize them and sort them however you like.
- Dashboard: the dashboard will show you anything that you need: profits, losses, income and expenses. There is also a “Private Mode”, which hides personal material that you don’t want to share.
- Inventory: even if available only in the most expensive plan, the inventory system is pretty basic but will let you work comfortably: adding items, customize them, tracking their stocks and sales are the things that you can do.
- Invoicing: you can sort and organize your invoices however you like, this way you don’t have to search for hours in order to find what you were looking for. In addition, QuickBooks offers 5 invoices themes, which you can freely customize in order to fit your taste.
QuickBooks Online offers a lot of add-ons, and by “a lot” I really mean it. There are over 300 available, but the ones I would recommend considering are QuickBooks Payroll and QuickBooks Payments, which enables electronic invoicing payments.
Pros and Cons
There are a lot of things to point out, both good and bad. Let’s start with the good:
- Intuitive and straightforward interface
- Excellent accounting system: QuickBooks provides you with all of the features that you need for a smooth accounting experience.
- Easy to set up and to work with
As for the bad, there’s also a lot to say:
- Lacking when compared to the local-installed QuickBooks Pro: there are a lot of long time users (me included), that find QuickBooks Pro a much more valid version in terms of features. Intuit should really work on this.
- Outages: this shouldn’t happen, but it’s pretty common. It didn’t happen to me, but I’ve read a lot of complaints about this.
- Slow: loading time was improved with time, but it’s still really slow. Loading pages takes about 2 to 4 seconds for each.
QuickBooks still remains one of the best choices for people looking for an accounting solution. QuickBooks Online could do a lot better, but it will still satisfy most of your needs for sure. Give it a try.